Thursday, December 10, 2009

Decorating for the Holidays, 18th Century Christmas Tree

Just because the Georgians didn't traditionally keep a Christmas tree doesn't mean you can't have a Georgian-themed one. I have been scouring the web for 18th century inspired Christmas ornaments and here is what I have found.


The best source for 18th century ornaments has to be the Williamsburg site, there is so much to choose from! Prices vary, click on ornament for details, Williamsburg online Shop

Birds always seem appropriate for an 18th century tree. This one would do well if you were going for a colonial theme, $24, Etsy

If only these handmade dolls were more affordable! They are very much like the dolls of the 18th century, $150, Etsy
Wedgwood (founded in England in 1756) has a gorgeous collection of ornaments, true to the Georgian and Regency period, $30, Wedgwood

A little rococo couple dancing in a snowglobe, $26 from Plasticland

After you have a few of these and some candles (the pine cone ones are perfect), add some silver or gold beaded garlands and stand back in wonder at your 18th century creation.

If anyone has found any other 18th century ornaments out there, do tell us about them!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the carriages and the all white Wedgwood. I've always wanted a wooden 18c doll with those hard eyes, but that's just pure fantasy. This may be as close as I ever get. The pineapples are pretty darned cute, too.

    I don't know if I'll get anything new this year for the tree (which will break the cats' hearts) but Jane Gordon will have pride of place. And I dare any cat to knock her down!


    Also, the Williamsburg site is having a 20% off sale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the doll would be a great tree topper too!

    I'm glad Jane will have a place of honour, but then again it's Jane, you have no choice but to give her the choice spot. What a tart.

    Good catch on the sale too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want one of those dolls! Maybe I'll try to make one, I'm sure that would turn out well (sarcasm).

    ReplyDelete
  4. The carriages - definetly the carriages. So charming and festive.

    Thanks Heather - lovely collection of suggestions for decorating.

    LA

    ReplyDelete